Regular price $73.98
The Domaine Francois Gaunoux is a renowned Cote d’Or, family estate of about 10 hectares still privately owned and controlled by the family. The grapes are picked exclusively by hand. Vinification is done using modern, winemaking material. The grapes are de-stemmed 100%. The cuvaison of the red wines is done using traditional methods and varies from 20 to 25 days depending on the vintage.
Stainless steel tanks are used with automatic internal monitoring and thermo-regulation by computer. Pressing is done by pneumatic press. After fermentation, the wines are aged for 16 to 18 months. The wines are then filtered and bottled.
The Gaunoux family has been living in Côte d’Or since the 16th century. François Gaunoux has been working his vines since the age of 15. François is the son of the famous Henri Gaunoux, a winemaker from Pommard. An avant-garde winemaker, he knew how to combine modernism and tradition. A philosophy which Claudine upholds today.
The Domaine is now managed by Claudine Gaunoux, daughter of François Gaunoux. She grew up around the winery and vineyards officially joining the family estate in 2000. Proud of the quality and working every day in her vineyards, she loves the closeness with nature and tranquility. It reminds her of her heritage and gives her a tremendous sense of freedom.
Les Grands Épenots is a Pommard Premier Cru. As with all Pommards, the designation applies only to red wines from Pinot Noir. It is one of the finest Premier Cru vineyards in the Côte de Beaune region of Burgundy.
The red wines made here exhibit bright, spicy tones with plentiful red fruit, and an elegant, yet powerful, structure. They can be cellared for many years.
The vineyard is one of three at the base of the Côte d'Or escarpment that make up the larger Epenots lieu-dit: the other two are Les Petits Épenots to the north and the walled Clos des Épeneaux vineyard, which covers the central part of Epenots.
- Unless your delivery address is on the West Coast, we strongly discourage you from selecting “Ground Service” as your shipping method. During the winter and summer months, weather conditions (temperature) and longer delivery times can often result in the spoilage of your order. It doesn’t make sense to invest in fine wines and then take the chance of ruining them due environmental factors during transit (faster and safer delivery generally isn’t much more expensive). We don’t make an additional profit on accelerated delivery, but we frequently recommend faster shipping options to our customers outside the West Coast.
- You must be 21 years of age to order or receive alcoholic beverages. Any shipments containing alcoholic beverages are sent with an “Adult Signature Required” sticker, and the common carrier that delivers our merchandise is required to ask and check for identification upon delivery. This means that an adult will have to be present at the time of delivery. Please consider shipping to an office address.
- During periods of extreme weather, we attempt to ship wines at the beginning of each week in order to get shipments to you before the weekend. This is because we have no control over the temperature conditions at our freight carriers’ warehouses. The result may be that your shipment doesn’t go out the day that you place an order.
- We ship by Fedex or Fedex Ground. Our prices include packaging materials. Insurance may be available for an additional charge.
- Vintage Wine Merchants, Inc. will arrange for shipment on behalf of the buyer, to an address specified by the buyer, provided that Vintage Wine Merchants, Inc. in its sole judgment believes that such shipment will not subject Vintage Wine Merchants, Inc. to the risk of any sort of legal action or other harm. If a buyer lives in a state where the direct shipment of wine by Vintage Wine Merchants, Inc. violates the law, we suggest that the buyer provide an alternative address in another state or have their wine shipped to a third-party storage facility in a direct shipping-friendly state.
- Various states impose limitations on the quantity of alcoholic beverages that may be purchased and brought into their jurisdiction by a purchaser from another state without requiring the purchaser, a seller or shipper to possess certain licenses or permits. Vintage Wine Merchants, Inc. does not, as a condition of sale, assume any obligation nor bear any responsibility whatsoever for applying or obtaining any permits or licenses. Therefore, we recommend that you investigate the possibility of such limitations, and determine the manner in which alcoholic beverages shall be brought into your state from California, so as to comply with all of your state’s requirements.
- Wine shipping rules in the United States are controlled by the state you live in. We do not ship wine to the following states at this time:
- North Dakota
- South Dakota
List Updated 2/1/2023
Please inquire about international shipping.
Vintage Wine Merchants
377 Santana Row, Suite 1135
San Jose, CA 95128