Regular price $19.98
On the nose it displays fruity notes of blackberry and black cherry, along with notes of basil and sweet spices due to the refinement in oak barrels. On the palate it is extraordinarely rich, full-bodied, smooth and well-balanced. Long fruity finish.
The Leone de Castris family has been making wines in Salice Salentino for over three centuries, a small village in the region of Puglia, rich in vineyards and olive trees. In 1665 Duke Oronzo, Earl of Lemos, started the company on the very spot where today’s cellar stands. He became enchanted by this landscape and decided to sell all his properties in Spain in order to draw the best from the Salentine-rich terroir. At the beginning of the 19th century, the winery had become to export bulk wine to the United States, Germany, and France until, with Piero and Lisetta Leone de Castris at the helm, the company started bottling its own wines. The winery produces a wide range of red and white DOC wines (Salice Salentino, Primitivo di Manduria) and interesting IGT Salento and Puglia wines.
Salice Salentino is a DOC of the Puglia wine region in the southeast of Italy. This is the area of Italy generally referred to as the "heel of the boot" along the south-eastern Salento peninsula. The area centers on the small town of Salice on the Salento peninsula, and spreads out to the north and west. The area gained its DOC status in the same year as its neighbor Squinzano, and just a few years before Leverano (1979).
Negroamaro is the flavor of the day in Salice Salentino. It's a dark-skinned grape variety and the name translates to 'bitter black'. Most commonly found in a blend, alongside Primitivo, Malvasia Nera, Sangiovese or Montepulciano, Negroamaro is valued for its deep color, medium-full tannins and dark berry fruit flavors.
- Unless your delivery address is on the West Coast, we strongly discourage you from selecting “Ground Service” as your shipping method. During the winter and summer months, weather conditions (temperature) and longer delivery times can often result in the spoilage of your order. It doesn’t make sense to invest in fine wines and then take the chance of ruining them due environmental factors during transit (faster and safer delivery generally isn’t much more expensive). We don’t make an additional profit on accelerated delivery, but we frequently recommend faster shipping options to our customers outside the West Coast.
- You must be 21 years of age to order or receive alcoholic beverages. Any shipments containing alcoholic beverages are sent with an “Adult Signature Required” sticker, and the common carrier that delivers our merchandise is required to ask and check for identification upon delivery. This means that an adult will have to be present at the time of delivery. Please consider shipping to an office address.
- During periods of extreme weather, we attempt to ship wines at the beginning of each week in order to get shipments to you before the weekend. This is because we have no control over the temperature conditions at our freight carriers’ warehouses. The result may be that your shipment doesn’t go out the day that you place an order.
- We ship by Fedex or Fedex Ground. Our prices include packaging materials. Insurance may be available for an additional charge.
- Vintage Wine Merchants, Inc. will arrange for shipment on behalf of the buyer, to an address specified by the buyer, provided that Vintage Wine Merchants, Inc. in its sole judgment believes that such shipment will not subject Vintage Wine Merchants, Inc. to the risk of any sort of legal action or other harm. If a buyer lives in a state where the direct shipment of wine by Vintage Wine Merchants, Inc. violates the law, we suggest that the buyer provide an alternative address in another state or have their wine shipped to a third-party storage facility in a direct shipping-friendly state.
- Various states impose limitations on the quantity of alcoholic beverages that may be purchased and brought into their jurisdiction by a purchaser from another state without requiring the purchaser, a seller or shipper to possess certain licenses or permits. Vintage Wine Merchants, Inc. does not, as a condition of sale, assume any obligation nor bear any responsibility whatsoever for applying or obtaining any permits or licenses. Therefore, we recommend that you investigate the possibility of such limitations, and determine the manner in which alcoholic beverages shall be brought into your state from California, so as to comply with all of your state’s requirements.
- Wine shipping rules in the United States are controlled by the state you live in. We do not ship wine to the following states at this time:
- North Dakota
- South Dakota
List Updated 2/1/2023
Please inquire about international shipping.
Vintage Wine Merchants
377 Santana Row, Suite 1135
San Jose, CA 95128