Boom Boom! exploded on the wine industry in 2007, and this spicy Syrah has been one of Washington State’s signature wines ever since. It’s a tribute to Charles’ first love lost—a woman nicknamed “Boom Boom” O’Brien—and it’s one of the biggest and boldest Syrahs of all time. It’s not surprising that wine drinkers everywhere have fallen in love with it. This spicy Syrah has a strong sense of place...Washington State. Explosive aromas. Mouth filling and rich—total satisfaction guaranteed.
Charles Smith is the visionary winemaker behind iconic brands like K Vintners and Substance. Charles has received 198 scores of 95 points and above and 768 scores of 90 points and above. Today, House of Smith is the largest independent and winemaker-owned winery in Washington State with wines sold in all 50 states and 23 countries worldwide. And it all started a little over 20 years ago, with 330 cases of 1999 K Syrah sold out of the back of Charles’ 1987 Astro van.
Charles Smith’s unlikely rise to “rockstar winemaker” status is the stuff indie cult-classic films are made of. He became intrigued with wine while working in restaurants at the age of 19. One restaurant job appealed to Charles most: the one where the guy came in late, left early, and drank all night. Before he could fully explore the path to becoming “The Wine Guy”, another passion called Charles: music. Charles spent a decade touring Europe as a rock band manager in Denmark before returning to the United States to immerse himself in the emerging music scene in Seattle, Washington. He found a way to explore his burgeoning interest in wine by opening a wine shop on Bainbridge Island, but Charles felt compelled to create the wines, not just to sell them.
A chance road trip to Walla Walla, Washington, in 1999 gave Charles that opportunity. He watched, listened, absorbed. Most importantly, he created. With almost nothing in his pockets, Charles Smith found a way to produce his first vintage…the aforementioned 330 cases of 1999 K Syrah.
In the two decades since, Charles Smith has left an undeniable impact on the wine industry. Charles developed (and later sold) iconic brands like House Wine and Charles Smith Wines, the home of smash-hit wines like Kung Fu Girl Riesling, Boom Boom Syrah, and the Velvet Devil Merlot. He earned recognition as Wine & Spirits Magazine Winery of the Year (2008), Food & Wine Winemaker of the Year (2009), Wine Enthusiast Winemaker of the Year (2014), and placed #2 and #13 on the Wine Spectator Top 100 List (2017). In 2006, Charles created the cult-favorite, Royal City Syrah, and that inaugural vintage made Charles Smith one of only four Washington winemakers to earn a 100-point score. In 2015, Charles opened Charles Smith Wines Jet City in Seattle Washington, the largest urban winery on the West Coast.
- Unless your delivery address is on the West Coast, we strongly discourage you from selecting “Ground Service” as your shipping method. During the winter and summer months, weather conditions (temperature) and longer delivery times can often result in the spoilage of your order. It doesn’t make sense to invest in fine wines and then take the chance of ruining them due environmental factors during transit (faster and safer delivery generally isn’t much more expensive). We don’t make an additional profit on accelerated delivery, but we frequently recommend faster shipping options to our customers outside the West Coast.
- You must be 21 years of age to order or receive alcoholic beverages. Any shipments containing alcoholic beverages are sent with an “Adult Signature Required” sticker, and the common carrier that delivers our merchandise is required to ask and check for identification upon delivery. This means that an adult will have to be present at the time of delivery. Please consider shipping to an office address.
- During periods of extreme weather, we attempt to ship wines at the beginning of each week in order to get shipments to you before the weekend. This is because we have no control over the temperature conditions at our freight carriers’ warehouses. The result may be that your shipment doesn’t go out the day that you place an order.
- We ship by Fedex or Fedex Ground. Our prices include packaging materials. Insurance may be available for an additional charge.
- Vintage Wine Merchants, Inc. will arrange for shipment on behalf of the buyer, to an address specified by the buyer, provided that Vintage Wine Merchants, Inc. in its sole judgment believes that such shipment will not subject Vintage Wine Merchants, Inc. to the risk of any sort of legal action or other harm. If a buyer lives in a state where the direct shipment of wine by Vintage Wine Merchants, Inc. violates the law, we suggest that the buyer provide an alternative address in another state or have their wine shipped to a third-party storage facility in a direct shipping-friendly state.
- Various states impose limitations on the quantity of alcoholic beverages that may be purchased and brought into their jurisdiction by a purchaser from another state without requiring the purchaser, a seller or shipper to possess certain licenses or permits. Vintage Wine Merchants, Inc. does not, as a condition of sale, assume any obligation nor bear any responsibility whatsoever for applying or obtaining any permits or licenses. Therefore, we recommend that you investigate the possibility of such limitations, and determine the manner in which alcoholic beverages shall be brought into your state from California, so as to comply with all of your state’s requirements.
- Wine shipping rules in the United States are controlled by the state you live in. We do not ship wine to the following states at this time:
- North Dakota
- South Dakota
List Updated 2/1/2023
Please inquire about international shipping.
Vintage Wine Merchants
377 Santana Row, Suite 1135
San Jose, CA 95128